Monday 8 January 2007

because I am missing my christmas tree...


I had one of those metal trees from Ikea, like many people I am sure, they are pretty funky, but I never did anything with mine, I had a red one because I like red, but it never seemed to do much, it was too wide to sit on my mantle-shelf, and just got in the way really. for a long time I thought it would be good to cover it, to wrap it with fabric, as it always looked a bit plasticy, a reminder that it was pretty cheap, but its been one of those things I just think about.

Today we took the christmas tree to the recycling centre, to be turned into little chips or something, it was a bit sad as it was still looking good and hadn't lost many of its needles, but christmas is over and tradition dictates it must go, along with all the trimmings and other bits that brighten our houses. So, last night, in the knowledge of this, I wrapped my little ikea tree to put up instead, it can be my winter tree and maybe I will keep it through the year and redress it from time to time.

I used fabric from one of my old broidery anglais wraps, it was getting old and had a small rip on one side, so i didn't mind tearing it into strips. I really like the result, I have draped it with a ribbon and paper rose garland I bought before christmas, and added a robin from my decorations, I had wanted an owl, but I have no owls and the robins redness makes me smile. The tree is actually very white but it looks lovely in the warm glow of artificial evening lights, so I kept these photos rather than make some daytime ones.


It is sat upon my shelf where I had the nativity scene, but usually where I have family photos, so next I must bring those downstairs again and see which fit and which look nice with it. hope you like it. if you have an Ikea tree, why not make it pretty too?

4 comments:

weirdbunny said...

Oh well done hannah that looks lovely. I like the rose garland too, although at the time that you bought it I wasn't sure.

Casey Maura said...

What a lovely, beautiful idea for extending the celebration of the *season*! I really like how you wrapped it too...

Berber said...

Great idea!
I've got TWO Ikea-trees myself, but I'm not tired of them yet ;)

anamama said...

What a fantastic idea, you clever thing! And I also love the little bird sitting on the branch.