Wednesday 6 September 2006

the Flylady


"Are YOU living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) like Franny in the pink sweats? Do you feel overwhelmed, overextended, and overdrawn? Hopeless and you don't know where to start? Don't worry friend, we've been there, too.

Step through the door and follow FlyLady as she weaves her way through housecleaning and organizing tips with homespun humor, daily musings about life and love, the Sidetracked Home Executives (SHE™) system, and anything else that is on her mind."


I joined the flylady support group about a month ago. I am a pretty messy untidy person, and rebel at the slightest whiff of routine, timetable or schedule, but I have to admit I quite like Flylady. I get a daily digest email every day and pick and choose the bits I fancy taking onboard. this is probably not how you are supposed to do it, but hey, its 'babysteps' (one of her catchphrases!).

Some of my favourite bits are to do short bursts of jobs, do something just for 10 minutes, like hoover, dust, etc, then switch to something else. I also like that she encourages us to use our best stuff for our own enjoyment 'treat your family like they are company', use the best china so it has memories for your children and it will make it even more special, wear your best underwear, enjoy using the special precious things you own. what lovely advice.

Since school started back (I know its only been two days) I have laid out the childrens clothes for the next day, prepared their sandwiches (I used to sometimes do it in the morning rushing) and got eveything ready the night before, including my clothes, and it does seem easier in the morning. and we havent been late yet.

I dont think I will ever be tidy, even when I dont have the kids as an excuse, but I am enjoying the little pools of tidiness and organisation I can create. Its a bit dorky, but kind of fun in a weird way, go on, sign up!

6 comments:

Amy said...

I do Flylady too (off and on...I sometimes get sick of the daily emails and opt out for awhile). It's a good thing, though, especially when I need a good kick in the rump to get back on track.

weirdbunny said...

I'll only use her if she can tell me when to put my washing on the line without it raining. 2 loads went on the line yesterday then it rained!!!

Luckily it's sunny today so they should dry.

Anonymous said...

I used to 'do flylady' before I discovered blogging! Now my house is a sty and if I have 15 mins it always gets used on the computer!!! Ho hum. I do the getting ready the night before bit still though.

Anonymous said...

I've got that 'lets be organised for school' thing going on and the kicthen door(once again) is now the proud owner of another typed up morning routine complete with boys doodles (to make it interesting..) It has worked for the last 2 days. Amazingly.

When I got out of the car this morning one of the mums (who I don't know very well) commented on me being early but she wondered if it would last more than a week? lol

I then nearly got run over by another flustered 'working' mum reversing up the road.. My life.. me and the boys jumped out of our skins (and yes I do know my green cross code before you ask).. so I like being organised but I'm not sure if getting to school early is worth the risk. We shall see...

Jenny said...

It's the last day of term here and everyone including me seemed to have decided the holidays had already begun . Lunches were made moments before children ran out the door. The boys got out of bed half an hour late and my daughter thought breakfast time was better spent writing names of Greek origin out of our "Names and their meanings" book. Roll on holidays.

anamama said...

I do flylady as well but tend to ignore her advise. I like the 15 minute thing and I even tend to do it sometimes. Well done for following it and sticking to it.